We finally got our embryo grading report! We hadn’t received any information on how the embryos were developing, and it was great to finally get a look. This embryo grading report is a lot different from the ones we’ve received in the US; but it was pretty easy to figure it out. To summarize, we had 18 mature eggs, which were fertilized and grown to day 3. One of the embryos didn’t make it, so we ended up having 17 embryos. 14 embryos were frozen after making it to day 3 as 8 celled, as you can see below (they are marked as 8bl,l). 7 embryos made it to day 5 as blastocysts, and the best three were transferred to the surrogate, while the other 4 were frozen. We were a bit surprised, because our original plan was to only grow 3 to the blastocysts stage without doing the preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), as the process involves taking out a cell from the embryo, which can cause the embryo to fail, as any disturbance to the embryo can cause damage. Embryos of bad quality does not result in a baby that has issues of some sort; rather, it results in no pregnancy at all.
According to the report below, they actually grew out another 4 to blastocysts stage before freezing them. When I emailed my case manager about this, she assured me that if the transfer should fail, that we could take any of the day 3 embryos and have PGD completed, which determines if there are any genetic issues in the embryo, and also what sex the embryos are. I’m guessing that the clinic wanted to freeze a few more blastocysts in case we changed our mind about doing the PGD. Either way, we’re happy to know that we have plenty of backup embryos just in case we need to try again, or if we decide to have another child in the future.
I find it interesting that we had so many embryos from this round of IVF, where in the past, we had about 10 day 5 blastocysts, which isn’t a bad haul either. We wondered why we had so many this time, and came to the conclusion that maybe the eggs were in better shape because they let them grow out to past the usual threshold that we’ve had in the past, where they would trigger when the follicles were around the 16 – 18mm range. The last ultrasound we had showed the follicles being size 12mm – 19mm, and I had another day of stimming and the Lupron trigger, before coasting to the egg retrieval. In theory, that means the 19mm could have grown to 25mm, although I have no idea what size the follicles were at retrieval. So this is just a theory that we came up with, and we might be completely wrong, so take this with a grain of salt.
This post was written by my husband, as I am in recovery mode and making mostly gibberish and absolutely no sense. He’s quite the poet.
Extract Day: Eggs Galore and Pain in Store
After all of the drugs, extraction day is here,
If we make it through this day, then we’ll be in the clear.
Full of eggs and pain, we stumbled in there,
The clinic was busy, there was barely a chair.
Off to the extraction, with the hope of relief,
But all that we found was striving and grief.
With the extraction complete, the pain soon unfurled,
There wasn’t enough pain meds in all of the world.
Now, what was one day of pain has turned into two,
And just getting by is all we can do.
But the extraction is done and there’s good news in the mix,
We got not one egg or two, but we got twenty six.